Arthur Parkin's Laboratory, Herbert Street, North Carlton
Arthur Parkin's Laboratory, Herbert Street, North Carlton - CCHG

Former Laboratory Building, Herbert Street, North Carlton

The two-storey laboratory was designed by architect A.H. Cutler and built by John Hill for Arthur C. Parkin, a manufacturing chemist, in 1886. The first floor was extensively damaged by fire in July 1899, when a silk sieve ignited and the flames spread rapidly. In November 1903, Mr Parkin was fined for selling adulterated raspberry vinegar. Government analysis confirmed the product contained mostly water, sulphuric acid (added as preservative) and colouring matter, with "very little, if any" raspberry juice. Arthur Parkin & Company expanded the business in 1910-11, building a single storey warehouse on the north side of Herbert Street. Mr Parkin died in 1939, but his company continued to operate from the premises in Herbert Street until the 1950s. The former laboratory building was home to F. Agostino & Co, wine and spirit merchants, for ten years from 1956, followed by Dorado Distributors from 1966. A photo taken in 1984 for the Carlton, North Carlton and Princes Hill Conservation Study shows the wording "Dorado Distributors" on the front of the building, now faded to outline. The 1980s and 1990s saw major changes, with conversion of both the laboratory building and warehouse for residential use.

by cchg on Sept. 27, 2018

Please login to comment on this item