Bryant and May Factory interior
Bryant and May Factory interior - VHR

Former Bryant and May Factories

The Bryant and May factory complex was built on Church St Cremorne in 1909, designed by William Pitt, the same architect who designed parts of the Gibsonia factory complex at Wellington St in Collingwood. Bryant and May were a British company who expanded into Melbourne in 1885, and the Cremorne factory manufactured their brand of Redheads matches up until the 1980s. The factory opening was reported on by the Herald as one “which promises to play an important part in the industrial life of Richmond” and as notable for its focus on creating a healthy environment for its workers, mostly local women: “The comfort of the firm's employees has been carefully studied. There are large separate dining and retiring rooms for men and women, and separate bathrooms where the hands may wash, bathe, and change their clothing after the day's work is done. Surrounding the factory is a large flower garden, which has been tastefully laid out, and which is already gay with blossoms.” In 1934, this was extended to include staff tennis courts, basketball courts, and a bowling green. These were partly introduced to avoid worker unrest and agitation, but also played a role in providing welfare for workers and their families during a period where government support was limited.

by laurenpiko on March 1, 2019

Please login to comment on this item